Saturday, November 9, 2013

Second book - Water, First part - Water magitians.

My article has this name not because I'm far from reality or triathlon had negative affect on my mind. Let me tell you what does it mean, before you fantasy did it instead.

Actually this is the name of one of Avatar cartoon series (or something similar). It is gorgeous cartoon, where people have super skills, like water, fire, air and ground control, and only Avatar can control everything (this guy is on the picture).

I like to make analogy between this cartoon and triathlon. Sport - is a fairy world were runners are "Ground magicians", swimmers are "Water magicians" and cyclists are "Air magitians" (as triathlon doesn't have analogy for fire magicians, we'll skip it ;)). Those who possesses all of them are Avatars, or in our world - Ironmans.



Thus after acquiring basics of "ground magic" I switched to the "water magic", and by this switch I opened second chapter of my "Avatar" story :). To be honest, I have never liked cycling or running, but swimming... I could come in the morning with guys from the street and went home in the evening with absolutely another company, because nobody would stay and enjoy it as much as me. Of course it is better than do not swim at all or do it very bad, but I was surprised how far I am from "I swim well"...

Some time ago, during each visit to swimming pool I was watching "water magic" and listening to magicians talks. It was something like: "Did you observed how I overtook you on the 3rd kilometer :), it was fun before you overtook me again on 4th..." and after all those "overtakes" they were fresher then me after 200m. I didn't imagine how, but decided that I want to become like these guys. And after I decided to participate in Bosphorus swim - I had no choise :).

As I was understanding that 6.5кm open water swimming is not a joke (Bosphorus), I decided to find a coach and practice regularly. I felt comfortable with visiting only one of our city swimming pools, it was the first and only place I looked in. One of my acquaintances recommended me a good coach and it was perfect option for me:
  • early workout for one hour and a half
    • it starts at 6:30am, which means I have to leave home at 5:50. Workout ends at 8:00 and at 8:40 I'm already doing my daily job.
    • If usual workout in any swimming pool lasts 45 min, in my case it lasts twice more
  • 3 workouts a week: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
    • I can't do more, because I have to run as well and at least some times rest.
    • the fact that there is no workouts Saturday means I can go to parents without skipping swimming
  • very good coach, who watches me and explains what I'm doing wrong, what it leads to and how to improve. I told him about my Tri-goals and about Bosphorus and now he leads me to there goals. I'm happy with everything and is somebody interested, his name is Stanislav Iurievic..
Some time before I started, I bought a peer of swimming glasses of unnoun brand for 20$, and thought that I was redy. Few workouts later, I was pretty sure that it was bad decision, and these glasses are as good as their cost. And my coach added that I have to have with me kickboard and pullbuoy.

Another vosit to the shop for this stuff remembered me that sport is not something you can do for free, even for swimming, where you need almost nothing. Results are the following:
  • Arena Goggles - 40$. It was top model of that year. One of the most expensive models. But before I decided to buy them, I tried each and every model and felt that theese are really good (finally I had to swim 6km with them).
  • Paddles Arena - 28$. Sincerly, I expected them to cost less. Plus to that, when I brought them to the workout, my coach said that this is not exactly what I need, because "you are strong enough for bigger peer". 
  • Pullbuoy (China) - 7$. I thought that there is no sence to pay 4 times more for Arena brand, and saved some money.
 
Finally I've got ~100$. I'm happy that in simming, your result depends more on you and not on the coolness of your "equipment".... there is almost no equipment, cap and goggles, despite the cycling... Theese expences are still waiting ffor me...

Currently I'm doing minimum 2.5km per day with different speed and styles. More concentrated on techique. Later will work on speed and distance..

After each workout, when I go to work, I feel so happy! there are lots of people who are still sleeping or only plan to do something today, and I already achieved so much... I got closer to my goal, It mekes me feel better :).

Swimming turned into something much more serious for me, where exist distance, time, technique and planning. I believe, with such attitude and with help of my coach, I'll achieve my goal.

Thank you for your time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment