Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bucharest Half Marathon - It worth doing!

10/06/2013 Bucharest Marathon day, and I was happy participant.

A bit of statistics:

  • Marathon in Bucharest has been organizing since 2008
  • There were more than 2.5k participants this year (2013):
    • Marathon - 680.
    • Half-marathon - 1617.
    • Relay race - 364.

 

How it was.

Registration.

Each event starts from the registration. It's first part is online - basic information about yourself and payment (33 EUR). Second is the most interesting - Expo, getting your number, feeling this atmosphere.


After short walk through different t-shirts, gels, shoes, bags, vitamins and another useful running stuff, I got to the number pickup lines.

Registration:
  • ID + payment confirmation = your number for the race;
  • number for the race + payment confirmation = Runner set ("Bucharest 2013" version)
Nothing complicated, right. I came home and here what I've found in this "Runner set".



Runner set:
  1. Adidas t-shirt (unfortunately this XL was not the one I expected, so another me could fit in the same t-shirt... but it works as sovenir :))
  2. My first big race number :) - 8160, of course with advertisement, but who looks at them.
  3. Time chip. There were few intermediate check points during the race and organizers can track you during whole race. It is done in order to avoid cheating.
  4. Few totally needless booklets 
  5. Sponge and cream (who knows for what).
  6. Few magazines (again sponsorship :)... I believe this edition was the biggest)
  7. Big marathoner bag. You can easily put there your non running clothes and other stuff and leave it while you are running, thus you don't have to worry about your stuff. This bag is irreplaceable if you came alone. 

Race

Right before the race I had my last workout (short and easy) in the nearest park - Parcul Tineretului. Have to mention, that there is no such beautiful and well-kept park in Chisinau. Big lake, wide tracks around, amazing attractions, lots of playgrounds, dancing fountains... and it was not the biggest park in the city. I was impressed and thought that would be nice to come there again with family and enjoy it without being in rush. 

Race day morning started at 6:30 am. I did morning exercises and prepared invigorating and refreshing drink from mineral water, lime and honey :) Ok - 8am, it was time to go. It was written on the site that race starts at 9:30, thus I wanted to be there at 9 and to have some time for warm-up.

Of course, all roads involved in race were closed, central part of Bucharest were paralyzed and it was almost impossible to find parking. We left our car in 1km from the start square and walk to warm-up. 

FAIL was waiting for me just near the start... Can somebody tell me why I've read on site that marathon starts at 9:30 am and it actually started at 9:00 ?!?!?!? This is what I was thinking about when approaching to the start point I heard BABAH!!! I do not remember what exactly presenter was saying, but it meant - "Marathon has started!"... Do you imagine feelings of the guy who was late on his first ever official competition? I left my jacket and all non-running staff and run TO the place everybody was running FROM. As you might guess, I didn't have time for proper warm-up and psychological set-up. Looking for start was the best warm-up I could afford. And here we go!

There are lots of photos on the marathon official FB page, where you can find me as well.

As you can see on the photo, my start was 4 minutes later than first runners.

Beside the fact that being late is a shame, there were another issue. Theoretically the faster you run the closer to the start line you should stay at the beginning. Which means that I was running my first kilometers with the slowest runners. My running was like attempt to get out from the bus through the farthest door in the last minute :) - I had to overtake hundreds of runners, because they were running too slowly.

The more I was running the less people were around me. Fast runners run ahead, slow runners remained back. On one hand, I understood that I have to get back the time I wasted in the beginning, on another - the biggest part of the distance still was ahead and a very "pleasant" hill as it's part. Thus I postponed speeding up. I thought that it can be easier to keep my pace if I'll follow somebody more experienced and a bit faster than myself. It would mean stable and good pace. I saw an old man, who seemed to be good candidate. BTW - to follow an old man, can be easier than the young one. You have one more motivator - "Is this two times older man really better than me? I can't accept this!", which makes you run a bit better :).

I was feeling like a child, who was promised to receive a new candy for his effort, where effort is workouts I did and a new candy - emotions. I did it - and I liked it!

This amazing feeling, being one of thousands runners, who is doing what almost everyone is capable to do. But usually we have bunch of excuses to avoid it. My father asked me, why I'm paying money for running, why don't I run at home, around the home, from home to another home? Why I have to go to another country and waste my time? My answer is simple - it is Pleasure! And I believe it worse my time and money.

In maybe 32 minutes, while I was approaching quarter of the distance, few guys from Kenya were running in opposite direction! It meant they did half of the distance. It looks like international marathons for them like full-time job. They are visiting every marathon in the world and earn pretty good money on that. BTW, here are prizes for this particular marathon: 1st - 2500, 2nd - 1500, 3rd - 800, 5th - 500 and 6th - 250 EUR.

Some participants don't want to run simply, they believe it is too boring and try to add some more fun:
  • One guy was running in Anonymous mask and a big flag
  • A group of six guys were tight to each other with thread and run whole marathon together.
  • Two guys were running embraced
I, as father, was impressed by mother and doughter supporting their husband/father. This guy quickly approached them, gave fife, kiss and continued running. This kid was so happy to be kissed by father on the run and his wife was so proud, that I decided to have my family with me next time! I want my family be proud of me as well.

Probably because of atmosphere around, I had more energy than a week ago on the run to the same distance. Soon I realized that it was time to overtake that old man, because I was running too slowly. And it was only beginning. From that moment I was overtaking runners one after another getting back time I wasted at the beginning. I was running faster than on average during workouts. And I felt again this sweet feeling of being better than you used to be and than another people around you are...

It was my first marathon, and I would say that from the organizational point of view it was really good. The route through the most famous places of the Bucharest, lots of hydration and food points, security, health-care, bikers with water and of course - lots of supporters, which really helps.

I have nothing special to say about my feelings during the run, simply because I felt good all the time! All systems were working perfectly and I had possibility to enjoy the beauty around me.

It was big success for me! I finished this race and earned my first medal!



According to my statistics, I did it in less than 2 hrs, even taking in consideration that I turned my watches on few seconds before actual start and stopped few seconds afeter I crossed the finish line.


But official race statistics says I'm wrong. I took 782 place out of 1606, and got in TOP 50% :). Urra my friends, Urra!


Thanks.

I'd like to thank the company I'm working for - Endava Chisinau, for the sponsorship support they gave me and Endava Bucharest for the cool T-shirt! And great thanks to Bogdan from Bucharest, who spent 2 days, helping me with registration, preparation, support and had to deal with my "great" Romanian :).

Bogdan, îți mulțumesc foaret mult pentru ajutor si support. Fără tine calatoriia mea n-ar fi fost atât de plăcută :) !

Outcomes.

  • I will contiinue running. Along with crazy idea of becoming Ironman I have one more - run as much marathons in different countries! I liked that feelings.
  • No more long distance runs before I buy another peer of running shose. I don't want to restore after blisters anymore.
  • I have never liked running (actually till the summer 2013), unlike swimming. If I managed to run HMarathon after few month of preparation, Bosphorus this Summer is more than affordable (and finally we'll visit Turkey, everyone was there)

No comments:

Post a Comment