Saturday, July 27, 2013

First step towards Ironman!

Family is still sleeping and hart is beating. Body is full of emotions and muscles are ready to repeat movements... This is what I'm feeling after my first workout, which is official opening of Ironman preparation season.

Several weeks ago I read Dmitri Volosins article and was literally infected by Ironman idea. There are a lot of things you can take example of Dmitri, but this one is about setting up a goal, and achieving it.

OK, let's switch from theory to practice. In order to be able to track progress and later to remember what was in the beginning, probably I should mention current state: I'm 26, height 185 and weight 88 (I believe you are good if you can do at least 10 pull-ups). Today I did six laps around the lake (previous time I did only 3) and, probably it is around 1.5 km. I can swim around 200 meters without any risk for my health, and I have no idea how long I can do cycling, because I simply don't have it.

My current form is more or less clear, so it's time to give impossible promises set up goals. Obviously I don't have possibility to hire coaches in all three disciplines, that's why I'll try to achieve this goal on my own, having Internet and friends as source of information.

  1. Running: 2-3 times around the lake. Will buy special running watches, which will show how much is it - 6 laps around the lake my speed and heart-rate. As far as I know at the moment, these are the most important aspects.
  2. Swimming: 2-3 times a week. I can swim, but technique is awful, because you don't need it very much swimming in a lake with friends. After few visits to swimming pool I understood that I need swimming goggles. It is hard to see where you are swimming without them. Plus to this, probably I'll exercise with coach, because it is only 10 lei plus to cost of the one pool visit which is covered by company I'm working for.
  3. Cycling: Have no clue. I have neither bike nor place for it... but I'll figure it out later.
OK. First steps are clear. I need intermediate check points and set of SMART goals, which will keep me on the right way and show my progress if any:
  1. Running
    1. run to work Run 5 кm
    2. Run 10 km
    3. And so on with +5кm increment
    4. Run Half-Marathon and Marathon
  2. Swimming:
    1. 1,5 кm сrawl in one month
    2. Gidigich lake
    3. Bosphorus
  3. Bike:
    1. Buy it Meet and join local Cyclists
    2. ... (and something more, but right now - have no idea)
These are my crazy plans my friends. Promise keep you up to date by posts about progress and feelings.


No comments:

Post a Comment